Sights in Aarbergen
Evangelical Church – Built in 1751 from the church builders Johann Peter Kettenbach and Johann Philipp Schauß. Hall in baroque style with three-sided chevet, mansard roof and spire. Flat slab with stucco, fallery and pulpit. The organ ("Schölerorgel") is designated as historic.
Fortified church on the cemetry – The early fortified church is situated in a commanding altitude over the Aar. Compact, fortified choir tower of the 12th century with spire, the sacristy is situated laterally. Small nave, essentially romanesque as well. The wooden arcade date back to the 18th century. Now used as hall of mourning.
Investigations in recorded school events of Michelbach and church chronicles indicated, that the cemetery lime tree was planted in the year 1752. Mr. Kern (Kährn) from Eisighofen came as a teacher to the school of Michelbach. At this time it was the school masters right and duty to make his debut by planting a tree. With its rare growing - 12 ramifications - and its extraordinary size it shapes the landscape. Nowadays the "Apostle lime tree" is listed as a nature reserve.
The evangelical church was established 1907. It was planed from the architect Hofmann from Herborn. In 1945 the church was badly destroyed through a bomb attack and later restored. Main characteristics are the organ, the baptistery and the windows of the choir tower or the windows on the northside of the nave. In 31st May 2003 a lightning strike twice the tower of the church. The damage was considerable, though it caused no fire.
The parish vikary St. Bonifatius in diocese Limburg originates from the immigration of catholic refugees and displaced persons after the war. First it was established as a pastoral unit and finally get an own church in 1954. The Church Bonifatius is dominated in the inner place with a grand cross right next to the altar which is built of stone.
"Rahnstätter Hof" (formerly Hofgut) rebuilt fountain with a table, where it is possible to read the history in short, below the gliding field. (first mentioned 1194-98, in 1870 the yard was released to liquidation)
Cemetery masonry in quarry stone with sand stone pillars, the memorial built-in on the left side of the entrance. Small, two centered arch opened hall with saddleback roof. Sandstone panels with the names of former combatants of First World War are arranged on the walls. The facility, founded about 1928, and the earlier cemetery enclosure wall result in a unity with a harmonious design.
Evangelical Church – The church was built between 1311 and 1326 und is situated in-between the church yard in an elevated position at the outskirt of Rückershausen. The small gothic building of quarry stone with a heightened, choir closed on three sides, have windows only to the south. In 1437 it was determined, that the Rückershäuser chapel every Sunday one and two mass per week and on Corpus Christi a procession pass from Kettenbach to the cahpel. The (renewed) porch on four woodened round pillars goes back to the 18th century. A simple interior with wooden vaulted ceiling and furnishing of the 18th century. Organ of 1755.
Acidulous mineral water fountain “Antonius-Sprudel”, known since 1779, Kohlens.-Sprudel-Säuerling , table and healing water (gout, diabetes mellitus, gastro-intestinal diseases, kidney douche, Metabolic diseases)
Evangelical Church – It was built about 1321 according to the Berger Church (Werschau). Medieval fortified church, originally dedicated to Maria. Sacristy attached afterwards. Rest of wall paintings from 14th / 15th century (gothic choir tower, well preserved baroque crucifix)
Catholic Church - picturesque timber framing group seated in the green area of the former church yard. Originally a two storey parish house from 1670 with an high saddle roof and gable dormer, in 1709 a rectangular chapel with mansard roof was attached on the east afterwards. Not till 1739 the roof spire and the slimmer three-sided closed choir has been added. After the developed reconstructions (1963 and 1975), the initially floor plan fundamentally changed. Special meaning: sole remaining catholic timber framing church of Hessen and ancient catholic church in evangelic territory.